Casina Reale detta Vanvitelliana

The Casina Vanvitelliana: a pearl in an enchanting scenery


Index:

Information for the visitor

How to reach it

Correlated itineraries

Virtual visit

 

 

Return to index

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

home page

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The ROYAL CASINA of Fusaro

HISTORICAL TABLE

With the decline of the Roman Empire, also the other Phlegraean coastal cities were obliged to undergo the devastation of the Saracen hordes in 915 A.D..

The area between Cumae and Fusaro, reclaimed centuries before by the Greeks of Cumae with basins of drainage, resumed the ancient marshy aspect and air became unhealthy again.

The city of Cumae, thanks to its defensive curtain, became a shelter for brigands addicted to sack who came from the neighbouring cities. The Duke Goffredo of Montefuscolo, in 1207, put an end to these periodical raids with fire and sword. Between the end of the XIII and the first half of the XIV century, the lake Fusaro and the whole surrounding area came under the Angevin jurisdiction.

It was secured an income, first by Charles II and then confirmed by Robert, to the Hospital S. Maria di Tripergole, together with the right of steeping flax and hemp.

At the beginning of the second half of the XVIII century, with Ferdinand IV of Bourbon it started a first exploiting of the lacustrine sheet with the cultivation first of mussels and then of oysters.

According to his will and his second wife's, Lucia Migliaccio duchess of Florida, after the death of the architects Luigi Vanvitelli in 1773 and Ferdinando Fuga in 1780, in 1782 it was given to the architect Carlo Vanvitelli the commission of building, on a pre-existent small isle, a little house for hunting and fishing.

At the age of 42, Carlo Vanvitelli was called to realize his two greatest works for the Royal House that is, the intervention in Fusaro and the English Garden in Caserta, started just in 1782 and for which he availed himself of the English G. A. Graefer, famous gardener and expert in botany.

Carlo Vanvitelli started the works strengthening with a lining of big stones the pre-existing islet in which there was an ancient ruin used as a storeroom for fishing equipments.

The enchanting polygonal pavilion, which rises from the waters of the lake Fusaro, was built on two levels with projecting structures and terraces on both floors. Shortly after the Casino Reale was finished, the great painter P. Hackert, Vanvitelli's friend, wanted to extol its image in a picture, and the occasion was offered by the representation of the royal hunting (Ferdinand IV hunting coots in the lake Fusaro).

In January 1784 Giuseppe II had been guest of the Royal Casina and of Ferdinand IV. During the tragic December 1799, the Royal Casina was touched by the rebellions which brought to the birth of the unlucky Parthenopean Republic. To that period, in fact, dates back the disappearance of important art works: 4 great pictures representing the four seasons by P. Hackert and silk cloth coming from the Bourbon estate in San Leucio, which was part of the precious internal furnishings.

On 5th May 1819, the elegant building gave hospitality to the emperor of Austria Francesco II, his wife and the prince of Metternich. In the second half of the XIX century, the whole area, lake included, came under the jurisdiction of the reign.

The Royal Casina, in the course of years, had illustrious guests such as: Mozart, Gioacchino Rossini, the Czar of Russia, Vittorio Emanuele III and in the first fifties the president of the Republic Luigi Einaudi.

The polygonal plant of Fusaro, though belonging to the utmost period of baroque, can be considered the “swan-song” of the rococo production.

Ciro AMOROSO


Information for the visitor

 

Royal Casina and Park of Fusaro:

 

 

ADDRESS: via Fusaro - 80070 Bacoli - NAPLES
                  Telephone and fax: 0818687080

OPENING TIME:

Open every day from 9.00 am to one hour before sunset.

ENTRANCE COST:

Free entrance. To visit the Casina Vanvitelliana it is preferable to book.

Entrance allowed to domestic animals, provided that they are safe for the security of the personnel, of the other visitors and of the archaeological structures in general (use of muzzle and leash).

The guide service is available only on application. Click on GUIDE to book a guided visit or to ask for information about the conducted tour.

It is possible to take pictures or to effect shots except if they are for commercial purposes.

Visitors are invited to assume a respectful behaviour towards the environment and the works inside the Villa and the Park. Trespassers will be prosecuted under the laws in force.

It may be dangerous to venture on not authorized routes.


How to reach the Royal Casina and Park of Fusaro

 

Road network:

from Naples (highways)

Enter the Tangenziale of Naples direction Pozzuoli. Exit n. 14 Pozzuoli - Arco Felice. Follow indications for Napoli-Pozzuoli, Baia and Bacoli covering first via Licola-Patria, then via Miliscola (going along the shores of the lake Lucrino). Continue for via Montegrillo (Commune of Bacoli) as far as the crossroad from which turn right and go on for via Baia-Fusaro which skirts the entrance of the Archaeological Park (Roman Thermae). Going on, cover the provincial road Fusaro which skirts the Columbarium as far as the last crossroad where there is the entrance of the Fusaro Park and of the Casina Vanvitelliana. Outside not guarded parking area on the right, few metres after the entrance of the Park.

from Naples (downtown - main station of piazza Garibaldi)

Direction Porto - Piazza Municipio. Continue for Mergellina and Fuorigrotta. Here it is possible to enter the Tangenziale direction Pozzuoli, or to go on for via Domiziana as far as passing the centre of Pozzuoli (direction Roma - via Domiziana). Follow indications for Baia and Bacoli covering first via Licola-Patria, then via Miliscola (going along the shores of the lake Lucrino). Continue for via Montegrillo (Commune of Bacoli) as far as the crossroad from which turn right and go on for via Baia-Fusaro which skirts the entrance of the Archaeological Park (Roman Thermae). Going on, cover the provincial road Fusaro which skirts the Columbarium as far as the last crossroad where there is the entrance of the Fusaro Park and of the Casina Vanvitelliana. Outside not guarded parking area on the right, few metres after the entrance of the Park.

from Rome to Naples - via Domiziana

Continue for Baia Domizia, Mondragone, Castel Volturno. Then cover the freeway SS. n 7 Quater which takes on the Tangenziale of Naples (Exit Pozzuoli - Arco Felice), or cover via Domiziana (SS. n 7 Quater). Follow indications for Napoli, Pozzuoli, Baia and Bacoli covering first via Licola-Patria, then via Miliscola (going along the shores of the lake Lucrino). Continue for via Montegrillo (Commune of Bacoli) as far as the crossroad from which turn right and go on for via Baia-Fusaro which skirts the entrance of the Archaeological Park (Roman Thermae). Going on, cover the provincial road Fusaro which skirts the Columbarium as far as the last crossroad where there is the entrance of the Fusaro Park and of the Casina Vanvitelliana. Outside not guarded parking area on the right, few metres after the entrance of the Park.


Railway:

from Naples (main station of piazza Garibaldi)

Underground direction Pozzuoli. Napoli-Montesanto stop. Reach (about 100 metres) the station of the Ferrovia Cumana. Napoli-Torregaveta line. Baia stop. Go on by bus for Torregaveta, Fusaro stop. Distance from Baia to the entrance of the Fusaro Park and the Casina Reale: about 1 Km.

Estimated time: about 70'


Bus:

from Naples (main station of piazza Garibaldi)

SEPSA Bus Lines. Napoli-Torregaveta route, Fusaro line. Fusaro stop.

Estimated time: about 60'


Correlated itineraries

Archaeological-Monumental Itinerary: Archaeological Excavations Parks and Museums

Daily Itineraries: Itinerary A2