Ticket prices may vary according to special exhibitions.
Entry is free in State museums for European citizens under 18 or over 65
years of age. European citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 years pay
half price. Visitors may enter until one hour before closing time.
National Archaeological Museum - Piazza Museo, tel.
This is the most important archaeological museum in Europe. With the
collection that Charles of Bourbon inherited from the Farnese of Parma,
bronze and marble sculptures, paintings and furnishings recovered from the
excavations at Pompei, Herculaneum and other parts of Campania.
Collections of Etruscan and Egyptian antiquities, antique coins and
"secret room" ("gabinetto segreto").
Times: weekdays 9am - 7.30pm, public holidays 9am -
7.30pm. Closed on Tuesdays. € 6,50.
The Capodimonte Museum and Picture Gallery -
Park of Capodimonte, tel. 081 749.91.11.
The palace houses the National Picture Gallery whose central feature are
the Farnese Collection inherited by the Bourbon dynasty, the gallery of
19th century works of art, the historical apartments, the china and
majolica collections, the arms museum and several other collections.
Times: weekdays 8.30am to 7.30pm, Sundays 8.30am - 7.30pm.
Closed on Monday. € 7,50 (6,50 from 2pm to 5pm).
The San Martino National Museum - In the Vomero, next
to Sant’Elmo Castle.
This Museum is located within the monastery of St. Martin which dates from
the time of the Angevin dynasty. The terraced gardens provide a wonderful
view of the city. Collection of Nativity scenes and collection of 19th
century Neapolitan paintings.
Museum hours: Weekdays from 8.30am - 7.30pm, Saturday
8.30am - 7.30pm. Closed on Mondays. € 6.
The Royal palace Museum and Royal apartments-
Piazza Plebiscito, tel. 081 794.40.53.
The magnificently decorated halls and rooms contain the original Bourbon
furnishings, paintings, statues and porcelain.
Times: weekdays 9am - 8pm, Sundays 9am - 8pm. Closed on
Wednesday. € 4.
The Prince Aragona Pignatelli Cortes Museum -
Riviera di Chiaia, tel. 081 761.23.56.
Furniture of the 1800s, porcelain, furnishings, art collections of the
Bank of Naples. In a pavilion at the end of the garden, the chariot museum.
Museum hours: Weekdays from 8.30am to 2pm, weekends and
holidays 9am to 2pm. Closed on Monday. € 2.
The Duke of Martina Museum - Located in the park
called «villa Floridiana» in the Vomero, tel. 081 578.84.18.
The museum contains valuable collections of European, Chinese and Japanese
china and majolica as well as collection of enamel, ivory and other works.
Museum hours: Weekdays 8.30am to 2pm, weekends and
holidays 9am to 2pm. Closed on Monday. € 2,50.
The Civic Museum of Castel Nuovo (also called
Maschio Angioino) - Piazza Municipio, tel. 081 795.58.77.
This museum contains 14th and 15th century sculptures and frescoes in the
Palatine Chapel. On the three floors in the South Wing paintings, silver
and bronze objects from the 15th to 20th century are on display.
Times: from Monday to Saturday 9am to 7pm. € 5 (reduced
The Filangieri Civic Museum - Via Duomo, tel. 081
203.175. Closed at present.
The Sansevero Chapel - Via De Sanctis 19, near piazza
San Domenico Maggiore, tel. 081 551.84.70.
Master-pieces of 18th century sculpture including the " Veiled Christ"
by Sammartino. Petrified anatomical figures. Founded in 1590.
Times: Weekdays 10am - 6pm, holidays 10am - 1.30pm. Closed
on Tuesdays. € 5.
The Santa Chiara Complex - Via Santa Chiara, 49. Tel.
081 797.12.56/081 552.62.80.
The complex includes the majolica cloister, the museum and archeological
Times: weekdays 9.30am - 1pm and 2.30pm - 5.30pm, weekends
and public holidays 9.30am - 1pm. € 4 (groups of minumum 25 persons
3,50, students 2,50).
Pio Monte della Misericordia Picture Gallery -
Via Tribunali 253, tel. 081 446.944.
Can be visited on Thursdays and Saturdays, in the mornings.
Picture gallery of the Girolamini - Via Duomo 142, tel
. 081 449.139.
Paintings from the 16th-18th centuries.
Open Mondays to Saturdays 9.30 am - 1p m .
Monte di Pietà Chapel - Via San Biagio dei Librai,
In the monumental Palazzo Carafa of the Banco di Napoli.
Can be visited in the mornings on Saturdays and Sundays.
Industrial artistic museum - Piazzetta Salazar (near
piazza Plebiscito), tel. 081 764.58.44. Part of Istituto d’Arte Palizzi.
Museum of the Pagliara foundation - Corso Vittorio
Emanuele 292, tel. 081 412.908. Part of the university Suor Orsola
Tirrenia Collection - Palazzo Sirignano, rione
Sirignano 2 (riviera di Chiaia), tel. 199.123.199.
Works of art from the furnishings of transatlantic liners.
Times: can be visited the third Sunday of the month
(10am-1pm). Free entry. Closed in august.
Science City - Via Coroglio 104, tel. 081 372.37.28
The first Italian "science centre".
Closed on Mondays. € 7 (reduced 6).
Museums of anthropology, mineralogy, zoology,
palaeontology of the University Federico II - The first three
are in via Mezzocannone 8, the latter in largo San Marcellino 10,
tel. 081 253.51.62.
Times: Mondays 9am to 1.30pm and 3pm to 5pm, from Tuesdays
to Fridays 9am to 1.30pm, Saturdays and Sundays 9am to 1.30pm. Admission
to each museum: € 0,70, discounts for entry to two or four museums and
for family groups. Closed in august.
Anatomical Museum - Via Armanni 5, tel. 081 566.60.10.
Visits by appointment.
Maritime Museum - Via Pozzuoli 5 (Bagnoli area), tel.
National Railway Museum - Corso San Giovanni a
Teduccio, tel. 081 472.003. Currently closed.
Museum of the Observatory at Capodimonte - Salita
Moiariello 16, tel. 081 557.51.11. Visits by appointment.
Elena Aldobrandini Museum of Textiles and Clothing -
Piazzetta Mondragone 18, tel. 081 497.61.04.
Ethnoprehistorical Museum - Castel dell’Ovo, tel.
081 764.53.43. In the headquarters of the Club Alpino Italiano.
Prior telephone booking. Admission free.
Casa Santa dell’Annunziata - Via Annunziata 34, tel.
The wooden wheel here was used to anonymously leave abandoned chi ldren.
Times: 9am-6pm, holidays 9am-1pm.
Napoli in the De Mura collection - Underground passage
of Piazza Trieste e Trento.
Documents about songs.
Times: week-days 9am - 6pm, holidays 9am - 1pm. Free
Cathedral archaeological site -
Under the Cathedral see archaeological remains from Greek times to the
Open Monday to Saturday 9 - 12 and 16.30 - 19, Sundays and
Holidays 9 - 12. € 3 (group reductions).
Excavations of San Lorenzo Maggiore - Piazza San
Gaetano, tel. 081 211.08.60.
Beneath one of the city’s most ancient churches lie the rich remains of
several strata of previous ages, from Greek and Roman to early medieval
Times: Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm. Sunday and Holidays
9.30am to 1.30pm.
Grotto of Seiano and Pausilypon - Tel. 081 230.10.30.
Pre booking by phone is necessary for visits in the mornings.
Crypta Neapolitana - Via Grotta Vecchia (Fuorigrotta).
It connects Naples to Pozzuoli and was originally dug out in the 1st
Times: 9am-1pm. Free entry.
Outside the city
Ruins of Pompei -
Open every day from 8.30am to 7.30pm (from November to March until 5pm).
€ 10 (reduced € 5) Cumulative ticket valid for three days for Pompei,
Herculaneum, Oplontis, Stabia and Boscoreale: € 18 (reduced € 9). Tel.
Ruins of Herculanum -
Open every day from 8.30am to 7.30pm (from November to March until 5pm).
€ 10 (reduced € 5). Cumulative ticket valid for three days for Pompei,
Herculaneum, Oplontis, Stabia and Boscoreale: € 18 (reduced € 9). Tel.
Oplontis - Torre Annunziata, via Sepolcri, tel. 081
Antiquarium di Boscoreale - Boscoreale, via
Settetermini 15, tel. 081 857.53.47.
Ruins of Stabia - Castellammare di Stabia, via
Passeggiata Archeologica, tel. 081 857.53.47.
Museum of solar energy - In Torre Annunziata, via
Fiume 8, tel. 081 861.25.38.
Phlegrean Archaeological Monument Complex -
Includes the Museums of the Phlegrean Fields (the Castle of Baia, tel. 081
523.37.97), the archaeological area of Baia (081 868.75.92), the
archaeological area of Cuma (081 854.30.60), the Flavio Amphitheatre and
the Serapis of Pozzuoli. Only one ticket € 4, valid for two consecutive
days. Only one ticket also for the "Archaelogical Circuit of Naples
and the Phlegrean Fields", including the Archaelogical Museum of
Naples and the Phlegrean Archaelogical Monument Complex: € 8,50, valid
for three consecutive days.
Solfatara Volcano of Pozzuoli - Tel. 081 526.23.41.
The Catacombs of St. Gennaro - Tel. 081 741.10.71.
Closed at present.
The entrance to the catacombs is on via di Capodimonte down a small road
which runs alongside the grand Madre del Buon Consiglio Church recently
built on the model of St. Peter’s in the Va t i c a n . The Catacombs
date as far back as the 2nd century and are important not only from a
historic point of view, but also because of the early Christian paintings
which decorate the walls.
According to scholars, the Catacombs, which have an upper and lower level,
were originally the tomb of a noble family. After being donated to the
Christian community, the Catacombs became an official cemetery and
Guided tours at 9.30, 10.15, 11 and 11.45am.
The Catacombs of San Gaudioso - Piazza Sanità, tel.
The catacombs developed under the church of Santa Maria della Sanità (also
known as the church of San Vincenzo), built in the early 1600s. Their
origin is connected to the veneration of Saint Gaudioso, who died between
451 and 452 A.D.. According to ancient tradition, Saint Gaudioso, bishop
of Abitina, in Africa, arrived in Naples after King Genserico had stripped
him of everything and made him board an old ship which was then set adrift.
Guided tours in the mornings, and by appointment only in the afternoons.
€ 4 (reduced 2).
The San Severo Catacombs - Piazzetta San Severo at
Capodimonte, tel. 081 544.13.05.
Date back to the 4th century.
They can be visited by appointment.
Duomo - Via Duomo, tel. 081 449.097.
The cathedral, which was consecrated in 1315 in the presence of Robert of Anjou
and Queen Sancha, has been restructured over the centuries. Of great historic and
artistic value is the Chapel where the Treasure of St. Gennaro is kept, with the
flasks containing the saint’s blood. Every year in May and September the blood
liquefies, a miracle that has been studied by scientists from all over the world. Also
worth visiting is the Chapel of St. Restituta, the first Christian basilica in
subsequently incorporated into the cathedral.
Santa Chiara - Via Benedetto Croce, tel. 081 552.62.09.
Santa Chiara is certainly one of the most important Angevin monuments in Naples, originally built in the
early 14th century. The interior was altered in the 18th century to the Baroque
style. In 1943 the church was heavily damaged during an air-raid and was later
restored to its original style (Provençal Gothic). It was here that the Neapolitan
royal families and nobility worshipped. The splendid 14th century tomb of Robert of Anjou con be seen behind the
main altar. The adjoining monastery with its choirstalls and frescoes and the
majolica-tiled cloister re s t o red in the 18th century by Domenico
Vaccaro, are well worth a visit.
Gesù nuovo - Piazza del Gesù, tel. 081 551.86.13.
This church was originally built in the late 16th century on the premises of the Palazzo
Sanseverino, belonging to the Prince of Salerno. The rustica
ted 15th century façade was originally intended for their palace. Inside this imposing
church the floors and walls are c o l o u red marble. The Altar and sidechapels are sumptuously
decorated, and the
church contains valuable paintings and sculptures.
San Domenico Maggiore - Piazza San Domenico, tel. 0 81 459.188.
The Gothic church of San Domenico, dating back to the late 13th century, has been restructured many times over the
centuries. In the
17th century it was decorated in the Baroque style, through it was restored to
the Gothic style in the 19th century. In the right-hand aisle the remains of the
original Byzantine church can be seen. The Chapel of the Crucifix and the Vestry are particularly interesting to
visit. St. Thomas Aquinas lived and taught in the monastery next to the
church. Great works of art belonging to San Domenico are on display at Capodimonte
Museum, such as Caravaggio’s «Flagellation» and Titian’s «Annunciation».
San Giovanni a Carbonara - Via Carbonara.
Begun in 1343 and finished during the 1400’s, it was subsequently enlarged
and modified (the impressive staircase dates from the 18th century, and was
designed by Sanfelice). T h ree sculpture s a re of particular note: the monument to
King Ladislao, the tomb of Ser Gianni Caracciolo and the monument to the Miroballo family.
San Lorenzo Maggiore - Piazza San Gaetano, tel. 081 290.580.
This is where Boccaccio first met Fiammetta in 1334, and where Petrarch (who lived in the
adjoining monastery) took refuge a few years later during a terrible storm and
tidal wave. The majestic building dates back to the late 13th century and was restructured
in the 17th century. It contains the tombs of Catherine of Austria, Charles
of Durazzo and Robert of Artois. During excavations beneath the church and
monaster y. Greek and Roman remains came to light and it is hoped they will be
on public display in the near future.
San Paolo Maggiore - Piazza San Gaetano, tel. 081 454.048.
San Paolo Maggiore was built in the late 16th century on the ruins of a 9th century
church, which was once site of a Roman Dioscuri temple. An impressive double staircase
leads up to the entrance, designed by the architect Francesco Grimaldi, a master of Neapolitan
Baroque. The interior is divided into a nave and two aisles
and contains paintings by Massimo Stanzione, Paolo De Matteis and Francesco
Sant’Anna dei Lombardi - Piazza Monteoliveto, tel. 081 551.33.33.
Built in 1411, this church was completely restructured in the 17th century. It has been
defined as a «museum of the Renaissance», due to the many beautiful sculptures it
contains. Particularly noteworthy
is a group of eight terracotta figures (originally painted) representing a Pietà and
modelled by Guido Mazzoni in 1492.
Santa Maria Donnaregina - Vico Donnaregina.
This is one of the most interesting mediaeval buildings in Naples, and is located near the Baroque church of
the same name. Built in the 14th century, it was re s t o red to its original Gothic style
in the early 20th century. The tombs of Queen Mary of Hungary, by Tino da Camaino and Gagliardo Primario can be
seen on one side of the apse, and there a re famous frescoes dating back to the
early 14th century in the Nuns’ Choirstalls above.
Santa Maria del Carmine - Piazza del Carmine, tel. 200.605.
Santa Maria del Carmine is the landmark of this district, which is famous as the place where the
Neapolitan revolution started in 1647, led by Masaniello. Already in exstence in
the 12th century, the church was later restructured around 1283-1300 to incorporate a small church containing the
Holy Virgin called «La Bruna». To the right of the façade is a narrow bell-tower
with a pinnacle covered in majolica tiles, designed by Fra’ Nuvolo in the
early 17th century. Every year on July 15th, to celebrate the feast of the Madonna
del Carmine, there is an impressive firework display, which simulates the burning of the church tower.
San Francesco di Paola - Piazza del Plebiscito, tel. 081 764.51.33.
This church is a copy of the Pantheon in Rome and was built by Ferdinand I of Bourbon in 1817
to celebrate the restoration of his kingdom. An imposing pronaos resting on six
columns and two Ionian pilasters stands at the front of the church.
* * *
Other important churches are:
San Giacomo degli Spagnoli (Piazza Municipio);
San Gregorio Armeno (on Via San Gregorio Armeno); richly decorated in the
Santa Maria La Nova (on Via S. Maria La Nova), whose main altar was designed by
San Pietro ad Aram (Corso Umberto I), where according to popular
tradition. St. Peter baptised St. Asprenus and made him the first bishop of
Santa Caterina a Formello (Piazza Porta Capuana), one of the most beautiful Renaissance churches in
San Giorgio Maggiore (Piazza Crocelle ai Mannesi, via Duomo);
Santa Maria degli Angeli (Pizzofalcone) with its impressive façade (1600) and dome
towering above the city;
Santa Maria di Piedigrotta (Piazza Piedigrotta, near Mergellina Station), one of the most popular
of Neapolitan churches, after which the famous September song festival is
Trinità dei Pellegrini (Via Portamedina);
Santa Maria della Catena (Via Santa Lucia 102) with the tomb of Admiral
The Great Brotherhood of the Ecce Homo (via del Cerriglio 12).
The Maschio Angioino
Is the landmark of Piazza Municipio, the large square facing the port. It
was built by the Angevin dynasty in the 13th century, but was then completely
rebuilt by order of the Aragonese kings and restructured over the years. Its
most noteworthy features are: the Cappella palatina (Palatine Chapel), also
called the Chapel of St. Barbara, and the Sala dei Baroni (Hall of the Barons)
where the meetings of the City Council of Naples are held. The magnificent Arch
at the entrance to the castle was built to commemorate the triumphal arrival of
Alfonso I of Aragon in Naples on February 26th 1443.
For visit see Museums.
Castel dell’Ovo - Tel. 081 240.00.55
Is the splendid castle in the Borgo Marinari, the «fishing village» on the
sea-front of the Santa Lucia district. Its foundations rest on a tufa rock in
the bay which was later connected to the mainland. In Roman times the
out-buildings of the villa of the patrician Lucius Licinius Lucullus stood on
that site. At the end of the 5th century, an order of Basilian monks settled
there and in the 12th century a fortress was built. This was later enlarged by
both the Normans and Angevins.
Sant’Elmo Castle - The foundations of Sant’Elmo Castle
are laid in the tufa rock of the hill on which it stands, called Paturcium in
ancient times, which towers above the city. The castle was begun in 1349 during
the reign of Roberto of Anjou. Its ground plan is on an elongated, six-pointed
star, though ramparts and forts were in later times added to the original
Times: Weekdays from 8.30am to 7.30pm, Sundays 8.30am to 7.30pm.
Closed on Mondays. € 1.
Capuano Castle - Has been the seat of the Neapolitan Civil
and Criminal Courts for several centuries. Its name derives from the nearby
Porta Capuana, one of the old city gates. Castelcapuano was originally built by
order of William I, called «il Malo» or the Wicked, in the second half of the
twelfth century. It was later enlarged by Frederick II of Swabia and re s t o
red and fortified by Charles I of Anjou.
The tombs of Virgil and Leopardi - Salita della Grotta, tel.
Virgil’s tomb is just a few steps away from Leopardi’s tomb in a lovely spot
on the hill between Mergellina and Fuorigrotta. They are beside a very old tufa
quarry and a tunnel, now no longer used, which connected Naples to Pozzuoli.
Virgil’s tomb is in a Roman burial vault dating back to the Augustan age. In
1939 the remains of Leopardi were moved here from the church of San Vitale in
The two tombs can be visited every day except Monday, from 9am to 1pm.
Entrance is free. Guided tours can be provided on request.
Sepulchre of Jacopo Sannazaro - In the church of Santa Maria
del Parto in Mergellina. Via Mergellina (tel. 081 664627).